Out-of-Province Applicants

As a resident of another Canadian province or territory, you are eligible apply to for a certificate of registration (licence) to practise dentistry in Ontario. You must still meet the standard registration requirements for the type of license for which you are applying.

Labour mobility agreements between Ontario and other Canadian provinces/territories grant some applicants the ability to apply for a licence in Ontario without obtaining or undergoing additional training, experience, examinations or assessments.

If you are already licensed to practice dentistry in another province/territory by a dental regulatory body:

  • You must be in good standing in all jurisdictions where you hold a licence to practice dentistry.
  • RCDSO is authorized to ask applicants to demonstrate proficiency in English or French if fluency in either language was not a condition of you receiving your licence in another province/territory. Read more about language requirements in the registration requirements section.
  • RCDSO is authorized to request that an applicant undertake, obtain or undergo additional training, experience, examinations or assessments if you have not practiced dentistry for three years or longer in a recognized jurisdiction.

More information can be found in the Ontario Labour Mobility Act, 2009.

This information is specific to Ontario registration’s requirements. For information on other Canadian jurisdictions’ requirements, visit the Canadian Dental Association website.

Can I just transfer my licence?

No, you cannot transfer your licence to practice dentistry from another Canadian jurisdiction. Each province/territory has a dental regulatory authority that is governed by its own provincial legislation for regulated health professions.

As the dental regulatory authority in Ontario, RCDSO is responsible for ensuring that all dentists registered to practice in the province meet the qualifications and standards to provide the highest-level of patient care and safety.

If you are already licensed to practice dentistry in another Canadian jurisdiction and wish to practice in Ontario, you must submit an application for registration in Ontario. You may be asked to submit documentation similar to your application process in the other jurisdiction. These documents must be sent to the RCDSO to confirm that you have met the registration requirements in Ontario and cannot be “transferred” from one Dental Regulatory Authority to another.

Click here to begin the application process.