Before You Apply

NDEB Examination

Before you can practice dentistry in Ontario, you must successfully pass the national examinations administered by the National Dental Examining Board of Canada (NDEB) and be issued a certificate number.

NDEB certification qualifies you to apply for a licence to practice dentistry in Ontario, or other Canadian province/territory. Having an NDEB certificate does not allow you to practice in Canada until you apply for and are granted a license in a specific province/territory.

How to take the NDEB

If you graduated from a non-accredited dental program, there are two pathways to receive NDEB certification:

  1. Successful completion of a Qualifying/Degree Completion Program from an accredited University
  2.  Successful completion of the National Dental Examining Board of Canada (NDEB) Equivalency Process.

    More information for graduates of non-accredited dental programs can be found on the NDEB website.

    For more information on the types of documents that are required for your application, visit the ‘What You Need to Apply’ page. A detailed list of required documentation can be found in the RCDSO portal once you have completed your application form.

    Work Authorization

    Before you can practice dentistry in Ontario, you must first have appropriate work authorization issued to you by Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

    Examples of appropriate work authorization include:

    • Canadian citizenship (passport, citizenship certificate/card)
    • Permanent Residency (PR card, signed Confirmation of Permanent Residency (i.e. landing papers)
    • Work Permit (including open work permit) that permits the individual to engage in the practice of dentistry or health profession in Canada.
    • In some cases a Study Permit may be acceptable, depending on the restrictions set out in the permit.

    Applicants may apply prior to having received work authorization if they have already begun the IRCC process and expect to receive appropriate work authorization within 90 days or less.

    For more information, or to begin the work authorization process, contact the  IRCC.


    Read the Applicant FAQs.